Friday, July 2, 2010

Taste Of Yellow - Mango Crumble

Pin It Now! The rain gods have played havoc here in Houston today. Its been quite sometime since I experienced the fierce side of Mother Nature. And while I kept my little one occupied with rain songs like "Yere Yere Pausa.." (rain rain come again.. if you mean to translate it literally) I certainly did not mean it. For firstly I had to drive and second that it was the long weekend and I really did not want to spend it at home.


But still it was a good break from the sultry sticky humid weather that we have been experiencing lately. As with every weekend I had a dessert planned for this one too. A nice warm mango crumble to complement the cool outsides. The moment I saw it on this site I knew it was my kind of dessert - simple,fruity and not overly sweet.
I did not have enough mangoes to fill up my ramekins so I added a few strawberries. The end result was really a treat !
Here's how I made it :-

Ingredients

2 (or more) ramekins full of chopped mango and strawberry
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp crushed red chillies
2 tbsp honey

For the topping :-
1 tbsp whole wheat flour (atta)
2 tbsp coursely crushed almonds
1 tbsp vegetable/canola oil
2 tbsp turbinado sugar ( any brown sugar would be equally good)

1. Mix the fruits,cinnamon powder and the honey and toss gently. Fill into individual ramekins.
2. Mix the ingredients for the topping until the mixture resemble course breadcrumbs.
3. Top the ramekins with topping mixture.
4. Bake at 350F for 10-12 mins till mixture is bubbly and top browns. Take cake not to dry out the mixture by baking it longer.

It was so good. The sweetness from the honey and the heat from the mangoes,a perfect combination.
 
Thanks Sunita for yet another wonderful recipe !

1 comment:

Spice Rack said...

Very Nice recipe! I did try using various spices, but this recipe is great. It makes me crave for more flavorful and will make my kids more happier.