So this week I tried masquerading rotis as tortillas and made some Spinach,Goat Cheese and Caramelized onion quesadillas with some roasted tomato salsa. Quite a mouthful of title but a flavorful one !
Quesadillas and Salsa
This was a fun-meal a nice change from the usual dal,sabzi,rotis.
Roasted Tomato Salsa
1. Cut 4-5 tomatoes in half and sprinkle salt,pepper and 2-3 tbsp of olive oil. Add 5-6 cloves of garlic and coat the tomatoes and garlic nicely with olive oil and the spices. Spread on baking tray (lined with foil for easy cleanup) cut side up. Bake for 20 mins till the tomatoes have wilted and turned brown from below.
2. When cooled finely chop the tomatoes and garlic.To this add :
1/2 an onion finely chopped
salt to taste
crushed red chillies ( amount depending on how spicy you want)
handful of cilantro
3. Enjoy with your favorite chips or with the quesadillas below.
The amount of tomatoes and garlic is approximate. I just use what ever leftovers I have in the crisper. And when I see tomatoes at 88c/lb I cant wait to make more of this salsa. I have made it a couple of times now and we are always craving for more. Actually its the flavor of the roasted tomatoes and garlic that we enjoy very much.
Now to the quesadillas -
This recipe is more of just assembling and then letting the quesadillas cook themselves.
1. Finely cut 1 onion into thin strips and saute for a few minutes till lightly brown and caramelized.
2. Place a roti ( I used the frozen one from Costco) onto a hot pan and let it cook on both sides.
3. Now spread some of salsa(recipe above),caramelized onions and the baby spinach(store bought works best) and finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes(optional).
4.Spread some crumbled goat cheese and place another cooked roti. Press down.
5. Cut into wedges and serve with roasted tomato salsa.
This quesadillas is really an explosion of flavours. The sweetness from the onions, creaminess from the goat cheese and slightly tart tomatoes and salsa.If you have never tried goat cheese before then try picking some at your next trip to the grocery store. Use them where you would use your other cheeses and see if you like it.
See ya !