Saturday, July 24, 2010

Homemade Granola

Pin It Now! For quite sometime now I was like most grocery shoppers who would walk up to the cereal aisle and mindlessly pick up their favourite brand of cereal and put it into their shopping cart. I was always under the impression that cereal was healthy. Until I read how much sugar the oats, the bran and corn flakes were dunked in.
We have switched to the healthiest option now - Plain Oldfashioned Oats. With a handful of fresh berries and nuts these make a very healthy breakfast.
However recently I learned making another healthy version of granola. With just a few tbsp of honey this granola had become an instant favorite in my house.
I actually got inspired from this blog that has many variations of granola. I have bookmarked almost all of them for me to try out. This weekend I made this version substituting with some of the ingredients I meant to use up.

 Homemade Granola
 ===============
  •  Combine :-    
                            2 C old-fashioned oats
                            1/2 C diced nuts ( I used a mix of almonds,peanuts and walnuts)
                            1/4 C dessicated coconut
          Roast over medium heat till nicely toasted. About 7-8 min. Keep close eye to avoid burning.
  • In a saucepan combine :                              
                                2 tbsp vegetable oil
                                3 tbsp honey.
                                pinch of salt
    Stir over medium heat till it comes to a boil. Add 1/2 tsp vanilla.
     
  • Pour the honey-oil mixture over the oats and nuts mixture. Toss to coat well.
  • Spread onto a baking pan and bake at 350deg F for 5-7 min till slightly brown.
  • Add 1/4 C of dried fruit ( I added raisins and dates), 4 tbsp of wheat germ(optional) to it.

  • Cool and then store in an airtight container. Enjoy with some milk or yogurt for a breakfast or snack.


No comments: