Monday, June 21, 2010

Stuffed Spinach (Palak) Parathas

Pin It Now! What do I do when I have a big batch of washed, freshly cut spinach to use up ? I make us some stuffed spinach parathas.
Actually I am a big fan of all kinds of stuffed parathas - Aloo,Muli,Methi..the list goes on. Fan as in the eating kind not the making one.. I have tried my hands a couple of time and the result was just satisfactory - not great , just fair.

This time I attempted some again and the result was more than just satisfactory making them blog-worthy. Actually these parathas are much easier to handle than any of the other kinds I tried before.

The recipe comes from my aai (mom). She always packed them for lunch with some cilantro chutney. As a kid I loved them because of their green color and enjoyed them with some pickle and yogurt.
Here is my recipe for them : -


For the Stuffing :-
1 or more bunches of chopped spinach
2 cloves of garlic
4-5 tbsp of gram flour
1-2 tbsp chilli powder
oil to fry
salt to taste

 For the dough
 1-2 C whole wheat flour (atta)
 water for kneading
 2 tbsp oil

To make the dough
1. Mix all the ingredients for the dough and make a soft dough.
 Keep aside for 30 min.

To make the stuffing
1. Heat some oil in a pan and add garlic.
2. When garlic turns brown add the spinach, salt, chilli powder and mix well.The mixture releases moisture.Cover and cook till the spinach has wilted.
3.Open the lid and add gram flour. Mix well. Gram flour will absorb all the moisture. Simmer and cook for another5-7 minutes till mixture is dry and lumpy.
4. Cook on high heat if required and allow the mixture to cool before making parathas.

To make the parathas :-
 1. Take agolf ball sized ball of dough and place 1tbsp of mixture in center.Bring the edges together to make ball. Press down and roll carefully into parathas.
 2. Parathas might be thick at first but make sure that the filling does not spill out.
 3. Fry on tava till golden brown with some oil.

I served mine with some garlic chutney. Great for kids lunches !.
Goes to the Kids Delight event hosted by Srivalli at Spice your life .

1 comment:

Srivalli said...

Suparna, thats such a lovely picture..your space is very pretty..thanks for sending in the entry!