This month has kept us happily busy. The weather cooled off quite a bit, a sure relief from the scorching heat. We thoroughly enjoy this change and try to get outside as much as we can.
All "friendly" with the pony..
The following weekend i enjoyed myself at the navratri celebrations.Oh it was so much fun dancing with all my dear friends some of whom i met after several months.It was a treat to watch the crowd all dressed up in the traditional finery.
Last week we enjoyed a pleasant change from our usual dinner menu- Kati rolls. I made a simple filling of potato and crunchy green beans stuffed inside a whole wheat roti. To assemble i used a simple chutney made with mint-green chilli, some cheese and crunchy onions. These were devoured at dinner time and the leftovers were packed into lunch boxes.
Aloo Kati Rolls
For the rotis:-
2 C whole wheat flour (atta)
1 C all-puprose flout (maida)
1 tbsp oil
- Knead the above into a soft dough. Roll in oil and set aside for 30mins at least.
- Roll into rotis. Make sure these are not very thin else they will tear. Do not overcook them or make them crispy else you will have trouble rolling them
For the pudina chutney :-
1 bunch of mint
5-6 tbsp of shredded coconut
2-3 green chillies
1 clove of garlic
- Blend the above into a paste with some water. The paste should not be watery. Mint is salty so be careful when you salt or you might want to skip it.
For the potato filling :
4-5 potatoes boiled and diced
20 green beans washed and chopped
1 tsp of mustard
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp your favorite garam masla or chat masala or mixture of cumin and coriander powder in equal parts.
salt to taste
3-4 tbsp oil
- Over medium heat combine the oil, mustard, cumin seeds. Once they splutter add the green beans.
- Add 2-3 tbsp water and cover and cook the green beans until tender.
- Add the potatoes and the spices. Salt to taste and mix everything well. Set aside.
For assembly :-
1C mozarella cheese
1C onion cut into spirals
- Spread the mint chutney over the roti. Add one tablespoon of the filling.Top with cheese and onions.
- Fold like a burrito.
- Add some cheese at the end of roll and place that side down on a hot tawa. The heat will cause the cheese to melt sealing the eddge of the roll.
- Press down until roll is crisp on both sides.
- Serve warm with minty yogurt dip.
For the Minty Yogurt dip :
Mix 1 tsp of the mint chutney into 1C yogurt and mix.