It feels somewhat magical to me - last year this time Aamod was a 5 month old who was trying his best to roll over and begin to crawl. A year later he is a running toddler, his innocent baby smiles being taken over by naughty grins. His hugs, his smiles and his laughter - arent they too adorable at this stage ? .
In between the tantrums and giggles I found myself making this recipe for a leisurely sunday lunch. I have made this earlier and it was appreciated very much by him. So i made it again , enough for us to last through sunday and in the lunchboxes on monday.
Here's how I made it : -
Paneer in Tomato Gravy (Inspired by this recipe on Sunita's World)
What's needed (serves 4 adult portions):
1 small onion chopped ( blended with 2 clove of garlic and 1" piece of ginger)
1C paneer cubes
whole spices - 1 stick cinnamon.2 bay leaves, 3 cardamom pods,2 cloves
1 bay leaf for tadka
salt to taste
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 whole red chilli
2 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp garam masala
oil as required
cilantro to garnish
2-3 C water
- Boil water and throw in tomatoes along with the whole spices. Let the tomatoes boil until tender. After a while the whole mixture will release a wonderful aroma from the cinnamon,cardamom etc
- When tomatoes are tender, allow to cool and blend the entire mixture along with the whole spices.
- In a pan , heat some oil. To it add cumin seeds.When they splutter add the 3rd bay leaf and whole red chilli.
- Add the onion+ginger-garlic paste. Saute till onion loses its raw smell and the mixture dries up. Add the chilli powder,turmeric.
- Now add the tomato mixture. Watch for spluttering here though. Mix well. and allow mixture to simmer for a while.
- Add garam masala and the paneer . Taste and adjust seasoning.Garnish with cilantro and serve.