The other day I impulsively bought a large bag of spinach from Costco. It was HUGE !.And then fortunately I found this recipe of Saag Paneer on Jugalbandi. I did not have any paneer so I replaced it with shallow-fried potatoes. Awesome !!
For one, I did not feel guilty about eating a rich curry. Coz its green - good and good for you. The aroma of the fennel and creamy-ness from the cashew powder makes it very different from any other curry I had earlier. I replaced the cream with the a 1/4C of whole milk.
With some warm rotis,salad and rice this makes for some tasty meal. It tastes better the next day so do make enough.
On to the recipe :-
The recipe is elaborate but definitely worth it. I usually make enough for 3 meals for 2.
Aloo Sag ( Inspired by this recipe on Jugalbandi )
- Drop about 5-6C of loosely packed spinach leaves into the biggest pot with boiling water. Let it sit for 10 min until leaves have wilted. Rinse with cold water ,drain and keep aside.
- Finely chop 1 large onion. Reserve half of it. Cover the other half and microwave till it softens (about 1 min)
- Add this onion to the spinach along with - 1 green chilly,1/2 tsp fennel seeds(saunf), handful of cilantro
- Drop 2 tomatoes in another pot of boiling water and let sit for 10 min. Dunk them in cold water. Peel skins and grate/puree.Set aside.
- Make a 3rd paste - 1/2 onion cut earlier + 2 cloves of garlic + 1/2inch ginger.
- Grind the foll. to course powder - 1 tsp coriander seeds + 1 tsp cumin seeds + 1 clove + pinch of turmeric + 1/2 tsp chilli powder.
- Finely grind 1/4C of cashews.
- In a pan heat some oil + butter.
- Add the onion-ginger-garlic-paste.Fry for 2-3min.
- Then add the tomato puree and the spice powder (coriander,fennel etc). Saute till most of moisture evaporates and mixture becomes thick.
- Add cashew powder and mix well.
- Then add the spinach paste. If the whole things splutters cover with lid. If you find the mixture too thick add some water/stock. Check for seasoning.
- Then add 1/4 C whole milk. Incorporate it well into the mixture. Simmer at this stage so that milk does'nt curdle.
Shallow Fried Potatoes
1-2 potatoes sliced
salt + oil to fry
- Heat some oil in a saute pan. When its hot add the potatoes. Take care that the potatoes are not over-crowded in pan. If so do saute them in batches. Leave them alone for 5 min
- They will take a nice golden color. Add a splash of water and cover and cook till just cooked but not mushy.
- Add them to the sag just before serving.
- Serve with warm rotis and rice.