Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Achari Aloo

Pin It Now!
The most versatile vegetable in my (or in most) household(s) is unmistakenly the chubby potato. Red or white potatoes always have their place in my crisper. They readily lend themselves during times when nothing else seem intresting. Dress them up in a rich curry or dress down into a simple stir fry they are perfect in every way. 
This weekend was one such instance when nothing much was planned on the kitchenfront. I poked the fridge and there they were - my potatoes, waiting patiently for their turn. 
A quick look at my bookmarks folder and I decided on making Meeta's Achari Aloo - a super simple bhaji to fit a  weekend lunch.

Here's how I made it :

Achari Aloo
(Inspired from this recipe at What's For Lunch Honey )
Printable version of recipe is here

3 medium sized potatoes cut in 1 inch wedges
2 medium sized tomatoes chopped
4-5 sticks of spring onions chopped (green and white parts) or 1 medium onion sliced
2-3 tbsp mango pickle ( I used Priya's Mango Thokku pickle )
salt to taste
squeeze of lime juice (optional)
2 tbsp of oil

  • Heat 2-3 tbsp of oil in a non-stick wok.
  • Add the onions and turmeric. Fry for a min or so.
  • Then add the tomatoes and fry till the whole mixture is mushy.
  • Then add the potatoes with a splash of water.Cover and cook till potatoes are tender but not mushy. I like my potatoes to be slightly cruncht rather than very soft.
  • Then mix in the mango pickle.Since the potatoes take on the flavor of the pickle ensure that you use a good quality pickle - something that you actually like. Homemade or the one "smuggled" from India would be perfect.
  • Add salt and pepper and give the whole thing a good stir.
  • Add a handful of cilantro (I did not have any) or some more of spring onions for garnish.
  • Serve warm.

We had ours with some fresh rotis.and a cucumber-yogurt salad. Both of us enjoyed this new twist. I for one enjoyed its simplicity. Would be perfect for a picnic with some parathas or as a sidedish for potlucks.

No comments: