Sunday, November 14, 2010

Masaledar Ubley andey ( Egg Curry )

Pin It Now!
Though this place was quiet for sometime, my life had actually got all the more busier. The see-saw of my life kind of lost its equilibrium giving me more than I was prepared for. Diwali celebrations, extra hours at work, toddler's health all disrupted our routine for a few days. It wasn't that I was not cooking. In fact I was cooking more than usual. But somehow I was unable to grab my camera and take some shots. Nevertheless a part of me wanted to come back here and post a few lines.

Eggs - These find a place usually at our sunday lunch. Omlets,scramble,curry the combinations are endless. Easy to prepare, nutritious and Vijay loves them. Do I need any more reasons ?  I like to try a new recipe for eggs each time. This time I tried this one from Indian Simmer. Prerna gets it from Madhur Jaffrey's cook book. The recipe is very simple and can be assembled in 10-15 mins.

Here its goes :-

Masaledar Ubley Andey
(Inspired from this recipe at Indian Simmer)

4 hard boiled eggs
2 tsp coriander powder
2 tsp cumin powder(I did not have any so i skipped it)
2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp garam masala ( the best you can find)
cilantro to garnish
1 tsp ginger grated
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp sugar
1/2 an onion finely chopped
1 C tomato puree or 1/2 can of tomatoes or 2 regular tomatoes chopped ( I made puree of 2.5 tomatoes)
oil as required

  • Make a paste of lemon juice, coriander powder,cumin powder,chilli powder,turmeric,salt and garam masala. Add some water if required , but not too much.
  • Heat 2-3 tbsp of oil in kadai or wok. Add the cumin. 
  • Once the seeds sizzle add the onion and ginger and fry for sometime.
  • Add the spice paste.Let the oil separate and the mixture become lumpy.
  • Then add the tomato puree and sugar. Saute again. Taste and adjust seasoning.
  • To serve cut the eggs length wise and spoon the curry over it. Garnish with cilantro and serve.

The curry is sweet, spicy and tangy - all at the same time. We had ours with some homemade parathas.But these would go well with some bread also. Would be great in the lunch box too.

Have a great week ahead !

No comments: