While this part of the world feasts on the turkey and the mashed potatoes we indulged ourselves in a very much indian Malai Kofta. It was one of those times where I attempted to replicate the restaurant like flavors at home.
An internet search for the perfect recipe resulted in almost a hundred different variations of this classic dish. I took ideas from many of these and came up with my own.
The contents for the kofta are common in most recipes - paneer and potatoes. You can add some basic seasonings if you like. The tomato based curry is enriched with ground cashews and almonds.
Here's the recipe in detail :
For the koftas :
1/2 C paneer grated ( I used homemade)
1 medium potato ( cooked and grated )
pinch of salt ( dont add too much )
1 tsp green chillies finely chopped
1 large carrot grated (optional)
1/4 C green beans finely chopped
2 tbsp corn flour or all purpose flour
oil to deep fry
For the curry :-
7-8 tbsp tomato pure
2 tbsp cashews (soaked overnight)
2 tbsp almonds (soaked overnight)
1/2 onion chopped
1 inch ginger
2-3 cloves of garlic
2 tsp garam masala powder
1 tsp fennel powder
1 tsp cardamom powder
1 tsp sugar or honey
salt to taste
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
oil for tempering
- Make a paste of cashews and almonds and keep aside
- Grind the onion with ginger and garlic and keep aside.
- In a pan heat the oil and add the onion paste and saute till fragrant.
- Then add the chilli powder and turmeric.
- Add the tomato puree and stir on high heat till oil emerges at surface.
- Add the cashew and almond paste.Add enough water to make gravy.
- Once the gravy comes to a boil add the salt,fennel powder,honey,garam masala and the cardamom powder.
- Taste and adjust more spices if you like.
- If you want to thicken the gravy further add some whole milk or cream.
- Cook for a minute and the garnish with cilantro to serve. Add koftas just before serving.
I was actually quite pleased with this outcome. The gravy is creamy and slightly sweet. Serve it with rotis or a simple jeera rice to get the restaurant like experience at home. A perfect holiday indulgence to say the least.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend !