Before I rave further, here's the recipe : -
Cabbage with Peas ( Inspired from this recipe at eCurry )
For tempering :-
4 cardamom pods (opened to expose the seeds)
1 bay leaf
1/2 C chopped tomatoes
1 tsp grated ginger or ginger paste
2 dry red chillies broken in big pieces
2 green chillies broken in large pieces
1 tsp turmeric powder
2C finely shredded cabbage
1/4 C peas (frozen or fresh)
salt to taste
oil as required
1 tbsp garam masala
1 tbsp ghee
- On medium heat saute the cardamom,cloves,bay leaf until the oil is fragrant. Add the turmeric,dry red ,green chillies and ginger paste fry till slightly brown.
- Then add the tomatoes and saute till oil separates and mixture is lumpy.
- Then add the shredded cabbage. Mix well. Simmer,cover and cook till the cabbage is soft but slightly crunchy.
- Can take around 10 min.The cabbage will reduce in quantity.
- Then add salt and mix well.Add the peas and mix again.
- Cook uncovered for another 3-4min till the water evaporates and the mixture is dry.
- Finally add the garam masala and the ghee. Taste and add more salt if required.
- Serve with some roti for a healthy meal.
The aroma of the whole and ground spices take it to a whole new level.We have loved this new twist to this neglected veggie. It has finally found its place on our meal menu.