Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Some health gyan and Aloo Gobi Rasedar

Pin It Now!
Last month in a fit of impulsive shopping I ordered these books from Amazon.


These books have busted most of my beliefs about good health and living. A few pounds have cropped up after Ojas was born but more than losing weight I wanted to really focus on staying fit and energized. After all caring for 2 active kids is no small task.
As the books suggested I made some basic changing to my eating habits
  • Waking up to a fruit. Mostly a banana or a pear and some soaked almonds and raisins. I have them the first 10 mins of waking up at around 6:30AM. After an hour or so I have 1 or 2 slices of whole grain toast with a boiled egg white. I have my beloved cup of tea at around 9:30AM after I drop Aamod to school. On the first day it was a bit odd to eat a banana at 6:30AM  but soon its become an habit. This keeps me energized during the busy morning hours.
  • I have my lunch anytime before 1pm and its usually roti-sabzi-dal after which I take my calcium supplements. Ok now the thing that I loved about the book. The book does not tell you to eat SALADs. An active mom like me cannot survive on SALADS!.
  • In-between at around 3pm or so I have a tall glass of buttermilk from homemade yogurt. If I need to be out in evenings I usually have a smoothie or I have 1/2 toasts with a cup of milk.
  • I wrap up my dinner by 7pm that is usually rice/roti with sabzi and dal. This way I can happily focus on serving dinner to the rest of the team. A hungry mom is never a happy mom you see.
  • I sleep by 10-10:15 AM. And yes no TV after 8PM. I usually read some book or read something online and sleep.
  •  I try to exercise at least 3 times a week for not more than 60 mins.  
What effect this is having on me ??
For one my blood sugars are being relatively stable. How I know that ?? No 4pm craving for crunchies or munchies. I craved a cup of coffee or tea in the afternoons at 4pm. But I do not miss that anymore. No growly stomach at 10AM and 10PM. I have the energy I need during the active morning and evening hours. After a long day I often complained of aching calves. The calcium supplements have taken care of that. I feel that it surely is being better absorbed. I had trouble falling asleep but now I fall sleep within 10 min after laying down and get up on my own without an alarm.

So much to share the health gyan that I acquired in past month. There is more but I will tell you and when I try it out.

Now onto some yummy curry :-
Aloo-gobi rasedar is my homely cauliflower curry. Its a watery curry to be had with some fresh rotis or steaming rice.


Aloo Gobi Rasedar
( Inspired from this recipe on TongueTicklers )

1C cauliflower florets
1 potota cubed
1/2 C frozen or fresh peas

2 tsp chilli powder
1tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder

1/2 medium sized onion chopped
1 tomato chopped
2 garlic cloves
1 tsp chopped ginger

1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp. of  gul (jaggery)
cilantro to garnish

  • Combine the ginger, garlic, onion, tomato in a food processor to make a course paste.
  • Over medium heat add the cumin seeds and then quickly add the above paste. Saute till fragrant and onion is soft.
  • Add the spices.Saute till oil separates. Add a teaspoon of water if mixture is too dry.
  • Then add the vegetables - cauliflower, peas, and the potatoes. Mix well and add boiling water to cover the vegetables.
  • Lower the heat to medium and cook till vegetables are tender. Add salt and jaggery to taste and adjust consistency. of curry.
  • Serve warm.


You can add shredded coconut, peanut powder to made a richer gravy. We prefer to have it simple though.

No comments: