When I was in my early teens I often asked aai "How did you know that I was hungry". And she had the same answer "You got to be a mom to know that ..". A decade and half later I understand what she meant. Mom's are special people. Aren't they ?
I love how these simple things in life give so much joy. Like cooking and feeding the family.The smile on their face when they see their favorite meal, their appetite, their request for seconds and the satisfied faces after wards. This makes the menu planning, the grocery trips, the cooking all worth it.
To satisfy the weekend sweet cravings I made some sinful orange basundi. Sinful ? Because its too good to resist. And except your weight everyone else will be really happy.
The recipe is very simple and can be made ahead. Perfect for a party or a get-together.
(Inspired from this recipe)
1/2 can or 7 oz of condensed milk
3 C low fat milk
3 tbsp milk powder
(combination of low fat milk + milk powder can be replaced with 3 C of whole milk)
3 oranges peeled (sweeter variety like navel,valencia or even clementines)
pinch of saffron
pinch of cardamom
- In a heavy bottomed pan combine the condensed milk, low fat milk and milk powder.
- Get it to a boil and simmer for 45mins or so till the mix is reduced to 1/2 the qty.
- Add the saffron and cardamom.
- Allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile peel the oranges removing the all the white rinds as far as possible.
- When the milk has cooled add the orange pieces.
- Chill and serve cold.
The condensed milk is very sweet and so no additional sugar is needed. I made them with some sweet valencia oranges. But you can try using clementines since they are so easy to peel. Other fruits like grapes, berries would go well too. I would not add banana though.
Totally delicious !!