The accompaniment to the dhansaak I made the other day was this root vegetable jumble. Its a very simple recipe and almost cooks itself.
Roasted Root Vegetable Jumble
Vegetables - Carrots, Sweet Potatoes, Daikons, Fennel,Butternut Squash,Red Onion ( Any combination of these, sliced 1/4inch thick)
For the marinade :
2 lemons cut into wedges ( or use readymade lemon juice )
5-6 tbsp of oil (may need some more if you have more veggies)
2-3 tsp cumin powder
2-3 tsp coriander powder
handful of cilantro
salt and pepper to taste
feta cheese to sprinkle on top
How to :
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Mix the ingredients for the marinade and set aside.
- Spread the veggies on a baking tray lined with foil (for easy cleanup).
- Pour the marinade on the veggies making sure it coats the veggies well. Take care not to overcrowd the veggies though.
- Transfer to oven and roast for 30min.
- Check back and spread the feta cheese crumbles and bake for another 10min until the cheese melts.
- Serve warm.
This is one of the dishes that I cook when I am in a time-crunch. Healthy and highly satisfying. I find that the baking process makes the root vegetables sweeter and highly flavorful. We are loving the carrots, daikons and squashes in a all new way.
Like me ,if you have never worked with fennel before do give it a try. I am sure you will love its sweet and nutty flavor.