Here it is, as promised in my last post - my version of Brown rice fried rice. Its simple, quick and healthy - everything that I ever want in a recipe.
Here are some of the secrets to Cooking the best Fried rice ( shortlisted from here ).I never realized that fried rice could be an object of so much research and analysis.
- A day-old rice makes the best fried rice. Hot, steaming freshly cooked rice would end up in a mushy,sticky fried rice. An absolute no-no. Refer to my earlier post on getting the perfectly cooked brown rice.
- Wok Time. I learned this term from Jaden Hair ( from Steamy Kitchen). The rice and the veggies need their time in the wok. So instead of constant stirring and mixing, leave it alone for sometime and you will be rewarded.
- Temperature - A hot wok/kadai is an absolute must. Wait patiently while the wok heats up so that you get your veggies crunchy.The trick as Jaden puts it - " The high heat ensures that each grain of rice gets hot to the core"
Brown Rice Fried Rice
( Inspired from this post )
1 C of uncooked short grain fried rice ( cooked as per the this post)
2 tbsp of ginger-garlic sauce (or sricha sauce or any other hot sauce)
2-3 cloves of finely minced garlic.
4-5 tbsp of oil
1C you choice of veggies - (peas,carrots, bell pepper any color,cabbage,corn,green beans)
If frozen thaw the veggies in hot water and then use.
salt to taste
2 tbsp of soy sauce
2-3 eggs scrambled (optional)
Spring Onions (for garnish, I did not have any though)
A wok to comfortably hold all of the rice and veggies.
- Add the oil and the garlic to the wok/kadhai. Let the oil get infused with the garlic and get smoking hot.
- Then add the veggies and mix. Leave alone for 1 min or so. We want the veggies to stay crunchy.
- Then add the sauces.Mix.
- Then add the rice. Mix with the vegetable mixture. Spread it in the wok and let it SIT.The rice will start to sizzle.After about 1-2 min. Stir everything. Taste and add salt(if required).
- You can add more sauce if the rice is too dry.
- Optionally add scrambled egg.
Dig in ...
We enjoyed bowls of rice with a side of crunchy green beans.
Its Halloween this weekend. My little one will be trick or treating with mommy and her neighbourhood friends. Want to see him in his halloween costume ? Come back next week for some pics.
Have great weekend everyone !