Sunday, October 10, 2010

Sweet comforts....

Pin It Now!
If you are a yogurt lover (like me) then read on....

I was actually a yogurt hater until I moved to US. I never liked the yogurt(curd) in India. My sister and myself detested the sour smell. We disliked all things made with it. So the neighborhood chaat-wala got strict instructions to make our sev-puri without it. And if by chance he forgot, the plate was promptly returned with "eeeee this has dahi.. make us another one..".

The yogurt tubs sold here are different though. They are thick and creamy devoid of the sour smell. So I liked it instantly. But I missed the sourness of homemade yogurt in my koshimbirs and kadhis. That was when I borrowed a yogurt culture from a friend and made my first homemade yogurt. Ever since I have churned batches of yogurt every other week.Its healthy, fresh and generates no plastic waste, and more importantly its way cheaper.
A few weeks back I read this post on this blog. The pictures got me drooling too. And finally I made us some  Mishti Doi(Sweet Yogurt). Its a very sweet and comforting dessert, perfect after a nice home-cooked meal.

The recipe is very simple and uses regular pantry ingredients and the results are outstanding.Its traditionally made in earthenware so that the gradual evaporation of water through the holes thickens the yogurt. But ramekins or any other container can also be used.


Mishti Doi 
( Inspired by this recipe )

What's needed :

2 1/2C Whole milk ( No 2%,1% please.It wont be as good)
1/4C+1/4C+2 tbsp white sugar (do not replace with brown sugar)
1 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
1 tbsp of yogurt culture
crushed pistachios to garnish (optional)

How to -
  • Start by heating the milk.
  • Once it warms up add the 1/4C of sugar and  the cardamom.Give it a good stir.Keep warm.
  • In another heavy bottomed pan add the 1/4C +2tbsp sugar. Bring the heat to high and stir so that sugar does not burn.
  • After a while the sugar will start browning and will turn into a syrup. Keep stirring till it gets a nice brown color, like caramel.Add 1tbsp of water and let the whole thing come to a rolling boil.
  • If at anytime the sugar solidifies boil the mixture for sometime and it will melt.
  • Add  this to the boiling milk and stir.Watch for spluttering though.
  • Cool the milk until a finger can easily withstand its heat. 
  • Mix in the yogurt culture.
  • Transfer to earthen pot or to individual ramekins.Cover with foil and set aside in a warm place. I put mine in the oven with the oven light on at night. Switched it off in the morning.
  • Move them to the fridge in the evening where the yogurt will continue to firm further.
  • Decorate with pistachios (or any other nuts) and enjoy.
It tasted best a day after it sets in fridge. Though we could not wait that long to taste it. Both Aamod and Vijay enjoyed it by the spoonfuls.
******
And finally.....
To all the readers celebrating Navratri, Happy Navratri !!

1 comment:

Shobana said...

Hi aparna

Great job. Looking forward to many more tasty posts from you.

Bye. Shobana