A few months back though I learned another way of making it. Like the way they make it in restaurants and call it as Bhindi Masala. I took the recipe for "punjabi aloo" from this website and added okra with the aloo.
The result was delicious !
Punjabi Aloo Bhindi
10-12 okra/ladyfingers cut into 1 inch pieces
1-2 potatoes boiled and roughly chopped
1-2 tsp chilli powder
1 tomato roughly chopped
2-3 tbsp curd/yoghurt
oil to fry
2 tsp cumin seeds
Make a paste of the following w/o using water:-
1-2 green chillies
1 tbsp grated ginger
1 onion sliced
1. Heat oil in kadai. Add cumin. Once seeds sizzle add the onion paste and chilli powder.Fry for a minute till mixture leaves oil
2. Now add the okra and toss to coat with the mixture. Fry for 2-3 min.Do not cover.
3. Mixture will become sticky so add yoghurt. And mix again.
4. Once stickiness reduces add the tomatoes and potatoes and salt. Taste and adjust the seasoning. You can also add 1-2 tsp of coriander powder to make it more spicy.
5. Fry for a few more minutes till okra becomes slightly soft but not mushy. It should still have a bite/crunch.
6. Serve hot with rotis.